It is bad enough if you have a light switch that is not grounded. Grounded means that the wiring behind the switch will not jump, skip, or transcend its wiring and that the little jolts of power that do get through the wiring head into the ground and are safely dispersed. An ungrounded switch is dangerous because electrical sparks will head through you instead.
When you have a lot of static electricity in the house, and you have an ungrounded switch, you are in a very dangerous situation indeed.
Are you a first-time homeowner? Do you know what to do if you should encounter an issue with your home's electrical system? In some instances, you may be able to fix the issue yourself. However, in most instances, it's going to be much safer and easier if you call in a professional to take care of the issue. Some popular DIY electrical projects and whether you should actually even attempt a DIY solution are as follows: