It is bad enough if you have a light switch that is not grounded. Grounded means that the wiring behind the switch will not jump, skip, or transcend its wiring and that the little jolts of power that do get through the wiring head into the ground and are safely dispersed. An ungrounded switch is dangerous because electrical sparks will head through you instead.
When you have a lot of static electricity in the house, and you have an ungrounded switch, you are in a very dangerous situation indeed.
Are you a first-time homeowner? Do you know what to do if you should encounter an issue with your home's electrical system? In some instances, you may be able to fix the issue yourself. However, in most instances, it's going to be much safer and easier if you call in a professional to take care of the issue. Some popular DIY electrical projects and whether you should actually even attempt a DIY solution are as follows:
Whenever hurricane season starts in the southeast or strong blizzards are on the way in the north, hardware stores quickly sell out of generators as people rush out to buy them ahead of the storms. Unfortunately, this is incredibly reckless behavior; not only is it dangerous to connect a generator to your home without the proper safeguards, it's also illegal in most areas. You must have either a transfer switch or an interlock installed in your home before you operate your generator.
It is possible to safely do minor electrical repairs around your home, such as replacing a switch or working on an electrical device, if you take the right safety precautions before you begin working. Here are four safety steps you should always take before doing an electrical repair.
#1 Unplug All Electrical Devices
First, you need to unplug the electrical device that you are going to be working on. If you are going to work on a switch or outlet, make sure you unplug all electrical devices that are connected to the switch or outlet that you will be working on.
If the electrical system in a property you have purchased isn't up to code a certificate of occupancy will not be issued. What this means is that no one will be able to occupy your new property until you get an electrical contractor to sign off on all repairs. Homes with chronic electrical problems may not even be safe for you or other types of contractors to enter until the repairs are complete.